Denton Criminal Defense Attorneys — Protecting the Accused
Fighting for your good name and your freedom
At Buchanan and Meyer Attorneys, we understand how harrowing it can be to be arrested or charged with a crime. We know that a guilty plea or verdict could shadow the rest of your life. It could impair your ability to find a job, get a student loan or even hold a hunting and fishing license. That is why our Denton and Tarrant County criminal defense attorneys fight tenaciously for our clients.
Our attorneys have a combined 45 years of criminal defense experience, and previously served as an assistant district attorney and as a judge. They know what to expect from the other side. They are ready to strategically fight for you at every step in the criminal process, including:
Understanding misdemeanors and felonies
While misdemeanor crimes are not as serious as felonies, they can still have serious consequences.
Misdemeanors carry the following penalties:
- Class A: Up to one year in county jail and/or a fine of up to $4,000
- Class B: Up to 180 days in a county jail and/or a fine of up to $2,000
- Class C: A fine of up to $500
Misdemeanor crimes include:
Whether you are charged with a misdemeanor or a felony may depend on any aggravating factors. Hitting someone may result in a misdemeanor charge. Hitting someone of a different ethnic background or sexual orientation may bring a more serious charge of committing an aggravated assault or hate crime.
Felonies carry a potential fine of up to $10,000 and prison:
- Capital: Death or life in prison without parole
- First-degree: Five to 99 years in a state prison
- Second-degree: Two to 20 years in a state prison
- Third-degree: Two to 10 years in a state prison
- State jail: 180 days to two years in a state jail
When you need a strong champion for your Denton criminal defense
At Buchanan and Meyer Attorneys, we have decades of successful experience handling criminal defense cases. For a free initial consultation with a Denton or Tarrant County criminal defense attorney, contact us online or call us at 940.312.6748.