Denton Homicide Attorney — Fighting for Your Life and Freedom
Aggressively fighting charges of assault and murder
There are no stakes higher than those in a homicide trial. The criminal defense lawyers at Buchanan and Meyer Attorneys have more than 45 years of combined experience defending clients against murder and assault charges. Criminal defense attorney Mick Meyer previously served as an assistant district attorney, prosecuting murder and manslaughter charges. So he knows what to expect from the state prosecutor. Criminal defense attorney Bryan Buchanan also served as a judge, and his experience helps us evaluate and challenge evidence against you, even before trial.
We have had cases dismissed and charges reduced before filing. When a case does go to trial, we fight smart and fight hard to achieve the best outcomes possible for our clients.
Understanding assault crimes
You may be charged with assault for threatening or trying to hurt someone. Charges range from misdemeanor to felony, and may be classified as:
- Domestic assault (includes ex-spouses and old girlfriends or boyfriends)
- Aggravated assault (includes use of a deadly weapon)
- Injury to a child or an elderly or disabled person
- Terroristic threat (threatening violence against a person or property with intent to injure or damage)
Understanding homicide charges
When one person kills another — whether intentionally or accidentally — it is considered a homicide, and the charge is usually a felony. Homicide is categorized as:
- Voluntary or involuntary manslaughter (accidental, reckless or heat-of-the-moment actions resulting in death)
- Criminally negligent homicide
- Murder (intent to kill or killing during the course of another crime)
- Capital murder (knowingly killing certain types of people, such as police officers, firefighters, correctional employees or children; killing multiple people; killing under certain circumstances, such as while trying to escape jail)
These are extremely serious charges, and it is essential that you immediately retain a criminal defense lawyer with homicide trial experience. In addition to examining and challenging evidence — and carefully advising you about all your options — we conduct our own investigations and bring in our own technical experts to testify in court.
When you need a zealous champion to fight assault or homicide charges
If you have been charged with a violent crime, it is essential that you talk to an experienced and aggressive criminal defense lawyer immediately. For a free initial consultation with our Denton or Tarrant County criminal defense attorneys, contact us online or call us at 940.312.6748.