Denton Adoption Attorney — Helping Untangle the Red Tape
Adopting a child in Texas is a complicated legal process
Bringing a new child into your heart and family is one of the most exciting events of a lifetime. But that does not mean it is stress-free. It is completely natural for you to worry about qualifying, making the right decisions or the potential for the adoption to fall through. That is why our Denton adoption lawyer at Buchanan and Meyer Attorneys works so diligently with you to ensure that all legal requirements are fulfilled.
Serving all adoption circumstances in Denton, Tarrant and Collin Counties
Our adoption lawyers guide you step-by-step through the legal process for whatever type of adoption you are seeking, including:
- Closed: You and the birth parents will not meet or know much about each other.
- Open: You and the birth parents will learn something about each other and may exchange names, addresses and other information.
- In-family: You adopt the child of your spouse or of a relative (such as a grandchild or the child of a deceased sibling).
- Domestic: Newborn infants are highly sought after, and most placements are done via registered, licensed adoption agencies.
- International: Each country has its own requirements, with some allowing only older children to be adopted out of the country.
- Older child and special needs: Texas has many older children and children with special needs who need families. Special needs can mean a number of things, including siblings who need to be adopted together and children with health issues, emotional issues or disabilities.
For all adoptions, it is essential that any agency you work with is licensed by the State of Texas. Texas is careful to allow adoptions only into stable, loving families. You need to meet a number of requirements, including that you and your spouse (if applicable) must be:
- At least 21 years of age
- Financially stable
- Responsible and mature
You must also complete a home study, which includes an examination of your:
When you need a legal champion to help you through the adoption red tape in Denton, Tarrant and Collin Counties
At Buchanan and Meyer Attorneys, we carefully guide you through the legal adoption process. If you are interested in adopting a child, or if you are an adult adoptee looking for information on finding your birth parents, contact us online or call us at 940-312-6748.